EXPERIMENT 1 , Test Name: WATER CONTENT DETERMINATION
This test is performed to determine the water (moisture) content of soils. The water content is the ratio, expressed as a percentage, of the mass of “pore” or “free” water in a given mass of soil to the mass of the dry soil solids.
1. Drying oven,
3. Moisture can,
d- Test Procedure:
1. Record the moisture can. Determine and record the mass of an empty, clean, and dry moisture can (MC)
2. Place the moist soil in the moisture can. Determine and record the mass of the moisture can (now containing the moist soil) with the lid (MCMS).
3. Place the moisture can (containing the moist soil) in the drying oven that is set at 105 °C. Leave it in the oven overnight.
4. Remove the moisture can, and allow it to cool to room temperature. Determine and record the mass of the moisture can (containing the dry soil) (MCDS).
e- Data Analysis:
- Determine the mass of soil solids.
MS = MCDS – MSC
Determine the mass of pore water.
MW = MCMS – MCDS
Determine the water content.
W =( Mw/Ms ) x 100
Date Tested: APRIL 30, 2022
Tested By: HM Class, Group D
Project Name: HM Lab
Sample Number: B ,C
Sample Description: Gray silty clay